Carpets are expensive and therefore maintaining them for a long-term becomes a must. They are an absolute delight in any household; they feel great under your bare feet and also protect hardwood and other solid surface floors. Apart from these merits, carpets are also a big-time challenge when it comes to cleaning.
As a flooring material, they have many advantages, but the frequent traffics, spills and stains take its tolls and gradually shorten its lifespan. Even though you might be making your best efforts, it is certain that your carpets are going to get clogged by all sorts of dust and dirt with absolutely no fault of your own.
However, there are some effective ways that will help you keep your carpet clean and extend its lifespan.
- 1) Regular Vacuuming Dust and debris can easily get clogged in your carpets and if left uncleaned can easily damage the quality of your carpet in the long run. Regular vacuuming is the first line of defense against the grit that accumulates in your carpet and damages the carpet fibers. Investing on the best vacuum cleaner is just not enough; you need to use it on a regular basis to give your carpet a thorough vacuuming. With an active family, you must make sure that vacuuming is done 2-3 times a week with 4-6 passes in the high traffic areas and 2-3 passes in the low traffic areas.
- 2) Keep the Dirt Outside Carpets are usually prone to dusts and contaminants. Use walk-off mats inside and outside your houses to keep the dirt off the carpeting. Having wide entryway matting is the best way to cut down soil and dirt particles entering your home. A test study reports that it takes up to 17 steps before the soles of your shoes are clean. Removing your shoes before entering your home’s carpet will assure longer life duration for your carpets. Dirt once tracked into a carpet seeps down its backing and destroys the carpet fiber. Once a fine grit scratches your carpet it will permanently damage the beauty of your carpet because the fiber surface is distorted.
- 3) Clean Spills and Stain Right Away No matter how cautious you are, chances are that accidents are going to occur and something might get spilled on your carpeted surface and you’ll have to race against the time to stop it from staining. You must know that carpets have a delicate fabric and in the haste to avoid the stain from spreading, scrubbing away is the worst thing that could possibly be done. In such a way you’ll end up breaking down the carpet fiber that will make your carpet look incredibly worn out in that particular area. If a stain or spill occurs on your carpets, tackle them right away. If you treat a stain immediately there’s a chance of 99% that you can remove it. The best way to remove a spill or stain is to blot gently by using a little spotting solution in that particular area. This process is to be repeated twice or thrice before the carpet is completely clean.
- 4) Rearrange the Furniture Periodically Furniture and feet can easily spoil your carpet. They contribute greatly in wearing down your carpet in confined areas. Feet are also responsible for pushing contaminants into the carpet pile and even the backing. This is aggravated only when the furniture remains stationary and in the same position for a long time. If you have the enough space, move your furniture around after every six months to prevent premature wearing down of your carpet.
- 5) Adopt a Professional Cleaning Service The traffic from people and pets around your home will gradually kill the beauty of your carpet and cause a filth buildup. Regular deep cleaning and maintenance is just not enough to withstand such damages. Hiring professionals for carpet cleaning is the best way to ensure that your carpet is well-cleaned and fully sanitized. Just like our team at KPA Carpet Cleaning Services that adopt safe, organic and eco-friendly services for homes and businesses around OKC.
By following the above five tips, you shall definitely manage to extend the life of your carpets.